Want to change Windows power plans in an instant? Add a context menu option with these tweaks.
You can change your PC’s power plan with energy saver, Balanced, High performanceand Ultimate Performance options in Windows 11 and 10. However, these options are not specifically accessible in the Control Panel.
A good way to set up shortcuts for those options is to set a Choose energy plan submenu to the context menu in Windows 11/10. Then you can access those subscription settings with just one or two clicks from the desktop. Here are two ways you can add a power options submenu to the context menu in Windows 11/10.
To customize the context menu in Windows 11 and 10, we need to modify the registry in some way. You can add one Choose energy plan submenu item to your context menu by creating and running a registry script for that purpose. This is how you set up such a registry script with Notepad in Windows 11/10:
- Open the Windows Notepad app. Our guide contains several methods to open Notepad in Windows.
- Select this script text and press Ctrl + C.
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
"MUIVerb"="Choose Power Plan"
@="powercfg.exe /setactive a1841308-3541-4fab-bc81-f71556f20b4a"
@="powercfg.exe /setactive 381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e"
@="powercfg.exe /setactive 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c"
@="powercfg.exe /setactive e9a42b02-d5df-448d-aa00-03f14749eb61"
- Paste that script into Notepad by pressing the Ctrl + V keys combination.
- Select File on the Notepad menu bar.
- Click on the File menus Save as choice.
- Then click along the Save as type drop-down menu and select All files from there. Type Power Scheme Script in the File name box.
- Click desktop on the left side of the Save as window to select that location for the file, then press Save until add the script to the Windows desktop.
- Close Notepad after saving the file.
- Double click on the Power Scheme Script file on the desktop.
- Select Yes in the Registry Editor dialog box that appears.
- Click Okay in the next dialog box that appears.
Now you see the new one Choose energy plan submenu in the context menu. You need to right click on the desktop and select Show more options to find that submenu in the classic context menu in Windows 11. Hover the cursor over Choose energy plan to select one Energy plan, Balanced, High performanceor Ultimate Performance choice.
You can remove that submenu by deleting the registry key. Open the Registry Editor app using a method in our guide to opening Regedit. Then clear the address bar there to enter this path:
Right click on the Energy plan button and select the remove choice. A dialog box will open asking for confirmation. Select the Yes option there.
The freeware Winaero Tweaker offers another way to add power management options to the context menu in Windows 11/10. That software includes an Add Power Options checkbox that you can select to add a Switch with Power Plan submenu to the context menu. Here are the steps for adding power management options to the desktop right-click menu with Winaero Tweaker:
- Go to the Winaero Tweaker download page.
- Select Download Winaero Tweaker on the software’s website.
- Install the downloaded software as described in our guide to customizing Windows 11 with Winaero Tweaker.
- Start the Winaero Tweaker software.
- Double click on Winaeros Context menu category to select it.
- Click Switch power plan to view the setting shown directly below.
- Then select the Add switching current context menu to the desktop checkbox.
You now see a Switch power plan submenu in the desktop context menu in Windows 11/10. That submenu is slightly different from the submenu added by the script because it doesn’t contain an Ultimate Performance option. However, you can still select: energy saver, Balancedand High performance options.
Winaero Tweaker also has an alternative customization option that adds a Power Options submenu to the context menu. That submenu provides shortcuts to access Control Panel power settings. You can add it to the context menu by selecting Power management > Add power management to desktop context menu in Winaero Tweaker.
Make power management settings more accessible in Windows
You no longer have to rummage through the Control Panel to change the power plan settings. Adding a power plan submenu to the context menu makes these options more directly accessible from the desktop in Windows 11/10. It provides useful shortcuts for users who frequently change their PC’s power management settings.